workers' comp


All California employers must provide workers’ compensation benefits to their employees under California Labor Code Section 3700. If a business employs one or more employees, then it must satisfy the requirement of the law.

Employers must purchase workers’ compensation insurance from either a licensed insurance company or through the State Compensation Insurance Fund (State Fund). Employers may also have the option to self-insure for workers’ compensation.

A commercial broker-agent can assist a business with purchasing workers’ compensation insurance from a licensed insurance company and can assist with information on State Fund and self-insurance.


Note: The U.S. Department of Labor-Office of Workers' Compensation Programs does not have a role in the administration or oversight of state workers' compensation programs. Visit State of California Department of Industrial Relations (DIR)-Division of Workers’ Compensation (DWC)

The non-profit State Compensation Insurance Fund (State Fund) was established by the California legislature in 1914 and is one of the state’s largest providers of Workers’ Compensation coverage. Learn more from the State Fund website.